Ingredients – Serves 6
Beet Ice Cream
- 2 medium sized beets
- 170 g sugar (divided into 30 g and 140 g)
- 50 g mascarpone cheese
- 450 g milk (divided into 30 g and 420 g)
- 8 g cornstarch
- 2 g Kosher salt
- 290 g heavy cream
- 35 g corn syrup
- Zest of one orange
Beet Pickled Turnips
- 1 large turnip
- 100 g beet juice – from one large beet
- 50 g red wine vinegar
- 12 fresh scallops
- Lemon and lime juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh chives, finely chopped
Beet Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Wrap the beats in aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour
- Let the beets rest until cool enough to handle then peel. Rough chop and puree in a food processor.
- Combine 125 g of the beet puree with 30 g of the sugar and the mascarpone and set aside to cool
- Mix 30 g of the milk with the cornstarch to create a slurry – set aside till ready to use
- Combine the remaining 420 g of milk, the ream, sugar, corn syrup, orange zest in a large pot. The mixture will boil heavily so use a pot with plenty of head space
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat and allow to boil for 4 minutes
- Whisk in the cornstarch slurry and bring to a boil again. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Pour the hot milk mixture into the bowl with the beet puree and whisk until completely combined and smooth.
- Cool the mixture in a metal bowl set over an ice bath and refrigerate until extremely cold. This will help ensure a smoother final product.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream machine following the manufacturer’s instructions, until thick and creamy.
- Allow to harden in the freezer for at least 4 hours and then remove 45 minutes before serving.
Beet Juice Pickled Turnips
- Juice one large beet to produce 100 g of juice. Mix the juice with the red wine vinegar and set aside
- Peel the turnip and slice very thinly using a mandolin. Using a 1 inch biscuit cutter or ring mold, punch out 30 rounds.
- Vacuum seal the beet juice and turnip rounds using a chamber vacuum sealer (or the displacement method).
- Let rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour and up to one day
- Slice the scallops horizontally into 1/4 inch rounds. Arrange the scallops and turnip rounds in a circular pattern onto a well chilled plate leaving room in the center for the ice cream.
- Drizzle the scallops with the lemon and lime juices, olive oil, and chives. Finish with a bit of salt.
- Plate a quenelle of beet ice cream in the center and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply